Moving on from London architecture to London2012 architecture: This is the ArcelorMittal Orbit by Anish Kapoor*. It’s a 115m tall steel sculpture/observation tower inspired by this thing and it has recently been built in Olympic Park.
It was announced about 2½ years ago and from what I can tell the general public hate it, but that’s probably just because it’s really weird-looking and when it comes to landmark architecture the conservative are always the outspoken. Somewhat in response to this, some architecture critics are really starting to like it.
I can’t really tell whether I think it looks good or not. I just love it because it’s super ridiculous.
*credit also to structural engineer Cecil Balmond who somehow decided it was feasible.
- napoleon1797 likes this
- universalresistance likes this
- corazondemelon reblogged this from hoschke118
- corazondemelon likes this
- potassiumdichromate reblogged this from hoschke118
- zomfia likes this
- castelnou reblogged this from hoschke118 and added:
- hoschke118 posted this